Skip to main content

Coming Out of the Infertility Closet

As long as I can remember I've wanted to be a mother. I've always loved babies, just ask my mom. She will tell you how at age 12 I told her I wanted to be a mom. How I loved playing with baby dolls when I was young and as I got older I gravitated towards babies and kids. She will tell you how I always asked to hold babies at church. I've loved babies as long as I can remember.

My love of babies and children eventually led me to get my bachelors degree from Baylor in Child and Family studies. Which led to a career in Child Life. Then eventually to my current position as a developmental therapist.

This love is what has made the last almost 18 months so incredibly painful. As I sit here on cycle day 5 after our second failed IUI attempt--one that carried a 25% chance at success, one with medications both pills and injectables, one that I was able to feel so hopeful about--I wanted to share with you all the pieces of my heart that have been breaking all these months.

Infertility is defined as a disease or condition of the reproductive system often diagnosed after a couple has had one year of unprotected, well-timed, intercourse. Infertility is a medical problem.
A medical problem. Not a problem with stress or relaxation. Not something that will go away if we "just relax" or "stop thinking about it".



If you want to know more specifics about the path we have been traveling all you have to do is start from the beginning of this blog and read up until now. It has been a long journey and I am tired of not talking about it. I am also not ready for everyone to be asking all kinds of questions. And please, if you learn anything from reading this let it be DO NOT give me, or anyone you know really, advice on how to get pregnant. We have spent enough money on doctors that we do not need or want your advice.

What we do need is your love, prayers, and understanding. Understand that this is hard for us, so we may not participate in activities that we used to like. We may say no to parties, particularly baby showers, because they are painful reminders of what we have been unable to achieve thus far. But please know that just because I am not emotionally able to attend or participate in these things it does not mean that I am not happy for you, I am. I am so thankful that most of my friends have not had this struggle. I am also thankful for the friends that I have been able to walk through these pains with together, and I pray daily for these friends to get pregnant and end their own battle with infertility.

Infertility is so isolating. It carries such shame. Shame that is absolutely ridiculous and unnecessary. Yes, I have not been able to conceive a child even with the help of some medical intervention, but why should that cause me to be judged by others? Especially those easily fertile women and families. Just because my circumstances are different than yours doesn't make what we are doing wrong. If it takes us IVF to get pregnant then that is what we will do. If God blesses us with a baby before that then we will be so incredibly thankful. But if it takes IVF then that is what we will do, and we will be grateful to God for the medical advances that allow for that to be a possibility.

I've hesitated to post this or say anything for so long because I still don't want it to be true. It's as if talking about our struggle with infertility makes it real and insurmountable. It is real, but it is certainly not insurmountable. My God can and does move mountains and He can move us past this struggle. Sometimes my faith is strong and sometimes it waivers, but God has always been faithful even though I do not deserve it.

We ask that you pray for us and anyone you might know who is struggling to conceive and carry children. Pray that God shows us mercy and grace and blesses us with children. Pray that we are comforted when the negative pregnancy tests come and that we have the hope to continue not just in trying to have children, but also that we have hope to continue our daily lives and that we are able to praise God through this storm.

Comments

  1. Praying for you, dear Sarah. I'm so very sorry. I'm hoping and praying for you and your husband. Thanks for being vulnerable and sharing - I know that must be so difficult for you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Miscarriage

They say the statistic for miscarriage is 10-25% per 100 pregnancies in the US. 1 in 4 women will experience this loss. Personally I know more women who have miscarried, some more than once, than that statistic allows. I am now part of that statistic. Friday May 26, 2017 after just over 3 years of trying to conceive we got our first ever positive pregnancy test. The test line showed up almost immediately. Of course, it was a Dollar Tree test so we had to test again with a Clear Blue digital later in the evening (after 3 years you learn to buy the cheap ones before double checking with the expensive ones.) Both tests were positive. The screen of the digital pregnancy test read positive. It was surreal. Was this really happening? After waiting so long was this dream becoming reality? Five days later the dream began to fade and concern and fear crept in. On Wednesday I began spotting. After initial concern and a call to the nurse at my new Ob/gyn office I was reassured th...

Life with Two Littles

Well, we've had two babies for 7 weeks now. It finally feels like we've settled into a new normal. And let me tell you this normal is crazy. I've had so many ideas the past several weeks about things to blog. Clearly none of them contained enough content to become actual posts. That's just how my brain is now, all over the place. All. The. Time. Life with two littles under the age of one is a little insane. I'd like to be able to say that it's all fun all the time. If I did that I would be lying to you, so I'm not going to say that. This life definitely has its ups and good times, but there is also a fair amount of tears and screaming--from the babies and from us parents. The older of the two littles has had a hard go of life so far and my heart hurts for her when she is hurting because she is still struggling with trust and feeling safe. Due to this she has horrible screaming fits when she is tired or hungry. The poor girl, when she gets so tired she w...

500 Days

500 days. 500 days ago we brought home a precious little bundle of joy from the NICU. Much like any new family we were full of excitement and happiness over this little blessing. We had prepared a place for her in our home. We had clothes and a bed ready and waiting for her. We loved her from the moment we laid eyes on her. It has not been an easy 500 days. Some of those days, many of those days, were bittersweet. The days with caseworker visits, resource worker visits, licensing checks, biological family visits, staffings, and court hearings were not easy. Those days were the ones that reminded us that this little baby girl who we loved as our own was not ours. It was hard. But she was worth it. So we kept going. By God's grace we were able to love her through it all. It's now been 5 days since our last court hearing for her. The beginning of our forever. Our happily ever after. It was at court on April 18, 2017 that the bundle of joy who had been with us for 495 days ...