Skip to main content

The Next Step: IUI

We've reached the point of taking yet another "next step" in our infertility journey.
Today is day 3 of cycle 14 in month 16.
Sixteen.
Sixteen months.
We have been trying, clearly unsuccessfully, for almost a year and a half.

It has been an incredibly emotional 16 months. So many things have happened in the time that this one thing is not. My grandmother died almost 10 months ago. My mother shattered her shoulder and had surgery for replacement. My husband had an emergency appendectomy. Work reduced my hours and pushed me to part time. We got the most adorable puppy in November. We celebrated our 2nd and 3rd wedding anniversaries. We've celebrated with many friends as they got engaged and married. We have countless friends who have gotten pregnant and had their babies.

Most importantly we've grown closer to each other as husband and wife & have learned better ways to communicate. We've also learned many things that are not effective when it comes to communication. And we are continuing to learn what it looks like to truly lean on and into God. So many times over the past sixteen months I've gotten angry at God. I've been furious that this one thing that I want so badly He is seeming to withhold from me. I've questioned what I'm doing wrong, trying to figure out what I need to change about myself or my personality to get Him to bless us with a baby. Though I'm still working through a lot I also feel like I've already grown a good deal since this all started. Even through the many times that I have questioned God He has never left me. He has not walked away when I've gotten angry or yelled out at Him in frustration. And I am beyond thankful for His faithfulness even when I lose my way.

This cycle we move on to the next step. This cycle will be our first attempt at IUI, intrauterine insemination. I'll spare you the details and instead let you read about this procedure with the links below:
http://americanpregnancy.org/infertility/intrauterine-insemination/
http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/intrauterine-insemination/basics/definition/prc-20018920
http://www.advancedfertility.com/insem.htm

Praying for God's favor and provision that this cycle will be the one. But also that I will simply continue to grow closer to Him no matter what happens.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Miscarriage

They say the statistic for miscarriage is 10-25% per 100 pregnancies in the US. 1 in 4 women will experience this loss. Personally I know more women who have miscarried, some more than once, than that statistic allows. I am now part of that statistic. Friday May 26, 2017 after just over 3 years of trying to conceive we got our first ever positive pregnancy test. The test line showed up almost immediately. Of course, it was a Dollar Tree test so we had to test again with a Clear Blue digital later in the evening (after 3 years you learn to buy the cheap ones before double checking with the expensive ones.) Both tests were positive. The screen of the digital pregnancy test read positive. It was surreal. Was this really happening? After waiting so long was this dream becoming reality? Five days later the dream began to fade and concern and fear crept in. On Wednesday I began spotting. After initial concern and a call to the nurse at my new Ob/gyn office I was reassured th...

Life with Two Littles

Well, we've had two babies for 7 weeks now. It finally feels like we've settled into a new normal. And let me tell you this normal is crazy. I've had so many ideas the past several weeks about things to blog. Clearly none of them contained enough content to become actual posts. That's just how my brain is now, all over the place. All. The. Time. Life with two littles under the age of one is a little insane. I'd like to be able to say that it's all fun all the time. If I did that I would be lying to you, so I'm not going to say that. This life definitely has its ups and good times, but there is also a fair amount of tears and screaming--from the babies and from us parents. The older of the two littles has had a hard go of life so far and my heart hurts for her when she is hurting because she is still struggling with trust and feeling safe. Due to this she has horrible screaming fits when she is tired or hungry. The poor girl, when she gets so tired she w...

500 Days

500 days. 500 days ago we brought home a precious little bundle of joy from the NICU. Much like any new family we were full of excitement and happiness over this little blessing. We had prepared a place for her in our home. We had clothes and a bed ready and waiting for her. We loved her from the moment we laid eyes on her. It has not been an easy 500 days. Some of those days, many of those days, were bittersweet. The days with caseworker visits, resource worker visits, licensing checks, biological family visits, staffings, and court hearings were not easy. Those days were the ones that reminded us that this little baby girl who we loved as our own was not ours. It was hard. But she was worth it. So we kept going. By God's grace we were able to love her through it all. It's now been 5 days since our last court hearing for her. The beginning of our forever. Our happily ever after. It was at court on April 18, 2017 that the bundle of joy who had been with us for 495 days ...