Skip to main content

24 Months Later: Reflecting on the Last Two Years

Yep, that's right. We've now been unsuccessful at conceiving a child for two years now.
I've come a long, long, long, way personally since those first few months. Heck, that first year was killer. Surgery was supposed to make it happen. Medication was supposed to make it happen. Procedures were supposed to make it happen. God is the only one who can actually make it happen.

Though we've not given up trying to conceive a biological child we are also not pursuing anything medically to help us do so. We are good where we are, and if God blesses us with a biological child then we will be thrilled. But I'm done obsessing over it.

A few months back I began this post and wanted to share it now.
It's been on my heart lately to write this, but I hadn't been able to find the words (or time) to get out what I want to say.

Before I came out about our struggle to conceive a child my life was all about keeping up the appearance of "having it all together." I always responded to the dreaded  "when are you having kids?" question with a non-committal when-the-time-is-right type answer. It was all about appearing to be happy while inside I was constantly falling apart.

I realized the other day while walking the mall pushing my double stroller with my two foster girls that I appeared to others to be in a far different situation than I really am. I also realized that I continued to look at pregnant women and families with young children the way I had since our infertility journey started--with jealousy and resentment. As I processed those feelings I wondered how many young, infertile, women saw me with my babies and had those same feelings of jealousy and resentment. I appear to have two babies very close in age. I appear to have everything I ever wanted. I appear to others who don't know my story as a girl with a dream family.

As I thought of all that I reminded myself that just as strangers don't know my story, I don't know theirs. How many of the women I stared at in jealousy at the mall also struggled with infertility before having their babies? How many of these families are struggling daily to keep their lives together? I don't know the circumstances of these individuals just like they don't know mine.

I say all this to help remind myself when I am feeling low that everyone has a story. Everyone has good times and bad times. Just because someone appears to have it all together doesn't mean they do, they might be falling apart inside. As friends I hope we can recognize signs in each other and start asking the uncomfortable questions and start living in real, deep, community with each other.

They say appearances can be deceiving, right? Don't be fooled by the external things you can see in others, we all need a little love and a whole lot of Jesus.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Miscarriage

They say the statistic for miscarriage is 10-25% per 100 pregnancies in the US. 1 in 4 women will experience this loss. Personally I know more women who have miscarried, some more than once, than that statistic allows. I am now part of that statistic. Friday May 26, 2017 after just over 3 years of trying to conceive we got our first ever positive pregnancy test. The test line showed up almost immediately. Of course, it was a Dollar Tree test so we had to test again with a Clear Blue digital later in the evening (after 3 years you learn to buy the cheap ones before double checking with the expensive ones.) Both tests were positive. The screen of the digital pregnancy test read positive. It was surreal. Was this really happening? After waiting so long was this dream becoming reality? Five days later the dream began to fade and concern and fear crept in. On Wednesday I began spotting. After initial concern and a call to the nurse at my new Ob/gyn office I was reassured th...

Life with Two Littles

Well, we've had two babies for 7 weeks now. It finally feels like we've settled into a new normal. And let me tell you this normal is crazy. I've had so many ideas the past several weeks about things to blog. Clearly none of them contained enough content to become actual posts. That's just how my brain is now, all over the place. All. The. Time. Life with two littles under the age of one is a little insane. I'd like to be able to say that it's all fun all the time. If I did that I would be lying to you, so I'm not going to say that. This life definitely has its ups and good times, but there is also a fair amount of tears and screaming--from the babies and from us parents. The older of the two littles has had a hard go of life so far and my heart hurts for her when she is hurting because she is still struggling with trust and feeling safe. Due to this she has horrible screaming fits when she is tired or hungry. The poor girl, when she gets so tired she w...

500 Days

500 days. 500 days ago we brought home a precious little bundle of joy from the NICU. Much like any new family we were full of excitement and happiness over this little blessing. We had prepared a place for her in our home. We had clothes and a bed ready and waiting for her. We loved her from the moment we laid eyes on her. It has not been an easy 500 days. Some of those days, many of those days, were bittersweet. The days with caseworker visits, resource worker visits, licensing checks, biological family visits, staffings, and court hearings were not easy. Those days were the ones that reminded us that this little baby girl who we loved as our own was not ours. It was hard. But she was worth it. So we kept going. By God's grace we were able to love her through it all. It's now been 5 days since our last court hearing for her. The beginning of our forever. Our happily ever after. It was at court on April 18, 2017 that the bundle of joy who had been with us for 495 days ...